Advising Guides, Resources & FAQs

Advising & Mentoring | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What should I bring to my Advising appointment

First-time Freshman should bring:

  • SAT scores (if you have them)
  • Assessment results from the Testing Center located in the Library & Learning Services (LLS)

Returning Students should bring:

  • A list of desired courses
  • An idea of what you'd like to accomplish in the appointment

Transfer Students should bring:

  • Transcripts (unofficial copies are okay)

When should I meet with a Mentor?

First time students to Mid are required to complete Orientation prior to registration.

Please visit for more information and to sign up for a session.

We encourage you to meet with your Mid Mentor at least once each semester.

Once students have completed 12 credits at Mid, they may register for classes on their own through Self-Service.

Students on academic probation, having excessive credits without completing a degree or those experiencing financial aid problems may be required to meet with a Mentor.

How will I know what classes to select?

Once you have determined your Programs & Pathways, you will want to look through our Courses & Catalogs for a full description of courses. You and your Mid Mentor will start this process during your Advising appointment.

What is a GPA?

GPA is an acronym for Grade Point Average.

GPA is a snapshot of your academic performance. It is determined by dividing the sum of grade points by the number of credit hours. On a standard scale A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, and F=0.

Your transcript will display two separate GPA's - a semester GPA and a cumulative GPA. Your semester GPA reflects an average for one semester of coursework. Your cumulative GPA reflects your average for your entire academic career at that institution.

You can view your transcript, GPA, and other relevant information online via Self-Service.

The quickest way to improve your GPA is to repeat courses with low grades (such as F or D). Use GPA Calculator Form - Excel file

How do I pay for school?

Please visit our Financial Aid site for information about paying for college.

I started my own business and have managed dozens of employees. Is it possible to get life-skills credit for this?

If you have experience or skills gained through non-traditional sources such as work or life experience, you may request that these skills be evaluated for credit.

Please file a Non-Traditional Credit Application in our Enrollment Office along with any and all supporting documentation. If credit is granted, a $20 per credit hour fee will be charged at the time the non-traditional credit is accepted and recorded.

I took several Advanced Placement (AP) classes in high school. Is it possible to get credit for them?

AP courses are typically courses offered through high schools that offer academic rigor similar to college-level courses as determined by the College Board (the regulators of CLEP). At the end of the course, students have the option to pay a fee to take the AP test. If a student passes the test with a score of 3 or better and has verification sent to his or her school of choice, most schools (including Mid) will award the student credit for that course. However, it is not mandatory that a student has completed an AP course before completing the AP test. This helps ensure that homeschooled students are eligible as well.

How are CLEP and AP different? Can I CLEP out of some courses?

CLEP stands for College Level Examination Program. AP stands for Advanced Placement. Both programs are regulated by the College Board. If you feel that you have sufficient competency in an area to pass a college-level examination in that subject, you may schedule a CLEP exam at an approved testing center; the closest is CMU. If you pass with an acceptable score and have verification sent to Mid, we will award you credit for that subject.

For specific details on CLEP tests & credit awarded at Mid, click here. AP test details, click here

What is High School Articulation and how do I get credit for it?

Mid has Articulation Agreements arranged with some high schools and technical centers around the area which allow you to earn college credit if you've completed the course with a satisfactory grade. Welding, Intro to Early Childhood Education, and Medical Terminology are just several examples of courses which may have articulation options. Upon completing the course, fill out a Mid High School & Technical Center Articulation Application , supply the required documentation, and it will be added to your transcript.

I’ve heard I might be able to test out of some classes? How do I do that?

Mid does offer in-house competency examinations for some of our key, entry-level courses. If a course such as keyboarding is required for your degree, you can test for credit. There is a fee for this type of test. If the course isn't required for your degree, but is a prerequisite to a course that you need to complete for your degree, you can test out for competency. There is no fee for this type of test. For a full list of examinations available, click here.

Contact the Library & Learning Services (LLS) on either campus to schedule an exam.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Satisfactory Academic Progress, or SAP, is maintaining a GPA of 2.0 or higher and successfully completing at least 67% of the classes you attempt. If you do not demonstrate satisfactory academic progress toward graduation as determined by attempted credit hours and grade point average, you may be placed on academic probation. Any GPA of 1.99 or below will qualify you for probation or dismissal.

More details on these policies are outlined in the Catalog. You'll need to complete the Academic Probation/Dismissal form each semester that you register while on probation. Please be aware that financial aid probation is a separate topic.

If you'd like more information on financial aid probation, please visit Financial Aid. If you have any questions about SAP, please contact your Mid Mentor.

I’d like to substitute a course required for my degree with a different course. Is this possible?

You are expected to take the required courses prescribed by your program of study. However, every once in a while special circumstances do exist that necessitate a substitution. If you believe you have valid circumstances with a clear rationale for substitution, you should file a Waiver/Substitution form with the assistance of your faculty or program advisor.

Back to the top