Mid Michigan College is one of 28 public two-year colleges chartered by the State of Michigan through the Michigan Constitution and the Community College Act of 1966, as amended.
The College was established in 1965 by community leaders in Clare and Gladwin counties. Shortly thereafter, Mid began serving students in Isabella County. Today, the College serves students throughout and beyond our state. Our campus community includes two primary locations – the original campus in Harrison, Michigan and our campus in Mt. Pleasant. Courses are offered in numerous locations and online.
This describes how our campus is organized to fulfill our Mission. The structure outlined in the following pages is based on the following beliefs:
- Our college community is strengthened by the involvement of all members. We are wiser collectively than we are individually.
- We believe all members of our community have a fundamental right to an advanced education—we welcome all learners.
- We are mission-centered and goal-focused. Our work together is action-oriented.
- We are organized through a representative system that requires its members to effectively communicate with each other and with constituents.
- As members of a college community, our interactions demonstrate collegiality and mutual respect. Communication is open and honest with respect for all voices, including those who dissent and those who prevail.
- The actions of governance groups such as committees, departments, and councils is decision-driven. Responsibilities and recommendations are to be fulfilled in a timely way to promote effective institutional planning.
- As leaders in our community, we seek to identify and respond to both emerging and existing needs. We are proactive and responsive.
- In service to our students and our communities, we seek continuous quality improvement in all activities. Decisions are evidence-based, data-informed, and rooted in best practices.
- We operate through processes that are transparent and consistently fair to all concerned.
- We recognize that Mid is a dynamic organization. Each day brings new opportunities and challenges. While we are committed to doing what is best for our students and communities, we also recognize that there will always be room for improvement in our interactions with each other.